The Reflection Theme includes a Back to School unit and an All About Me unit. As they go through the experiences of going back to school, the children will be exposed to book titles that help them learn about themselves. The All About Me unit has book titles that go in depth for further self-reflection.
Back to School
- First Day Jitters: Students see that they’re not alone in their first day apprehensions!
- Cornelius P. Mud: Are YOU ready for school? Everyone will love and relate to this disorganized little pig!
- Chrysanthemum: What’s in a name? Children learn about self-esteem in this delightful story of a charming mouse.
- Brain Unit: How do people learn? Do we all learn the same way?
- This is the Teacher: Take a look into the the craziness that can take place in school!
- Officer Buckle and Gloria: What a dog! Gloria helps her officer partner teach school safety.
- The Ant and the Elephant: The smallest of animals teaches a lesson on kindness.
- The Little Engine That Could:Choo! Choo! Positive attitude abounds!
- SUE MACDONALD HAD A BOOK by Jim Tobin
- This School Year Will Be THE BEST! by Kay Winters
A great book to use for setting the tone for a great school year. Silly and full of hope. Great mentor text for writing.
- Library Lion by Michell Knudsen
Introduce your classroom library, public library, school library and the love of books with this lovable lion!
- Maybe a Bear Ate It! by Robie Harris and Michael Emberley
Imaginations run wild!
- A Wonderful Week by Marjoein Varekamp
Join a pig, a mouse, and a frog as they describe their wonderful week.
- We Love Our School! : A Read-Together Rebus Story by Judy Sierra
Frog and his friends love the first day of school. So will all the young readers, as they find success in reading along with this story.
- Dino Pets Go To School by Lynn Plourde
What would happen if you took the loudest dinosaur to school? What if you took the tallest? Would the dinosaurs follow school rules?
- Pete the Cat: Rocking in My School Shoes
Read and sing along with Pete the Cat as he rocks around his new school!
- Book List
All About Me
- I Like Me! A high spirited pig shares her self-esteem.
- Dumpy La Rue This persistent pig knows exactly what he wants to do. Children will follow Dumpy’s lead as they dance to the tunes in their own heads!
- All About Me Poetry Rhyme, patterns, imagery galore!
- Where The Wild Things Are “Let the wild rumpus start!” Before the movie hits the theaters in October, every child should read the story of Max and the Wild Things.
- Leonard the Terrible Monster Follow the sequence of events as Leonardo makes a choice! Children can reflect on how to make a good choice of friends.
- I Need My Monster What do you do when the monster under your bed goes fishing?
- Monster Stations Want to have a monsterous week of activities?
- Waking Up is Hard to Do Are you a morning person? You will be after you read and sing along with Neil Sedaka!
- Pete’s A Pizza by William Steig What do you do when you are in a bad mood?
International Literacy Day, September 8
- International Literacy Day Let’s celebrate reading!
In 1978, President Jimmy Carter proclaimed that National Grandparent’s Day would be celebrated every year on the first Sunday after Labor Day. During the first nine weeks , students reflect about themselves, their family, and their friends. Reading and discussing stories about our grandparents can be an enriching experience for all of us.
This would be a great time to invite grandparents to read to the class.
- Click on BigMama’s for lesson plans.
- Click on Song and Dance Man for lesson plans.
- Click on Great for lesson plans on two books by Gaby Goldsack. ( Graphic organizers included)
- city dog, country frog by Mo Willems
The illustrations by Jon J Muth help the reader to create sensory images of the seasons . Mo Willems tells a reflective story about the friendship between a dog and a frog.
As the seasons change, students reflect on their own development and changes.
- Fletcher and the Falling Leaves Introduce the beginning of fall with this tale of a compassionate fox who befriends a leaf.
- The Listening Walk Take an Autumn Walk and enjoy the sounds and sights of the new season.
- Leaf Man Follow Leaf Man on his travels with the wind!
- Possum’s Harvest Moon The harvest moon provides a beautiful setting for a party.
- Autumn: An Alphabet Acrostic Students are inspired by simple acrostic poems about autumn.
- Autumn writing paper templates
- The Fiece Yellow Pumpkin The story of a small pumpkin who dreamed of being fierce. Follow his transformation from little to fierce!
- Check out the Task Menu link for menu of differentiated activities with autumn as the theme.
- Stellaluna The story of friendship and acceptance of differences.